What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help to identify Inert APC-T Round needed

bprezzle

Hi all, I'm a newbie, please be patient if I use the wrong terminology or make any mistakes :)

My Uncle recently bequeathed some inert ammunition to me after his death. The bulk of it is well known and easily identifiable, GAU 30mm rounds or 20mm Hispano rounds. There is one piece that I'm not able to find out more info about, please see attached links below for pictures. From the markings I can see it is an Armour Piercing Capped tracer round, the casing and projectile are detachable. From the base of the casing I can see it has been fired. The projectile has a ribbed cavity at the bottom which I believe is where the tracer/fuze was screwed in, although again, I am only a newbie. The casing is completely clear and free of any cordite or powder. I haven't yet seen it in person, but from what I can tell from pictures I have seen it is not too dissimilar to bofors rounds (but that's only from my amateur point of view I might be completely wrong). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

(ps, before anyone mentions it, my uncle was an experienced EOD tech in 33 Engineers Regt and an experienced collector who would never handle rounds he wasn't 100% sure were inert, so they are safe)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y1ud54wmeyf64s6/Photo 16-09-2017, 00 41 05.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rg6zhov4onnzsbr/Photo 16-09-2017, 00 50 10.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kcw9s06xdt3dvg7/Photo 16-09-2017, 21 55 39.png?dl=0

Attachments

• Photo 16-09-2017, 00 41 05.jpg
    Photo 16-09-2017, 00 41 05.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 70
  • Photo 16-09-2017, 00 50 10.jpg
    Photo 16-09-2017, 00 50 10.jpg
    307.8 KB · Views: 53
  • Photo 16-09-2017, 21 55 39.jpg
    Photo 16-09-2017, 21 55 39.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Since you are new, one of the BOCN rules is that you download the photos to BOCN so they are visible to all. When you type text in this box, go to "Go Advanced" at the bottom, and then to "Manage Attachments", and then to "Add Files"

Looks like a 40mm Bofors.

I did think it was one of the modern Bofors 40mms although I'm no expert. From my research I've discovered that the projectile is painted black as it's a practice round and that it didn't contain any explosives. If anybody could elaborate further and give me an idea of Country of origin and year that'd be great.

The projectile is a 40mm L/70 Armor Piercing Tracer. It is Black because it is armor piercing, and the lettering is white because it doesn't contain any explosive. 40mm L/70 ammo is the current cartridge used by most countries. 40mm L/60 ammo was used in WWII.

The cartridge case was made by Bofors.

Hello,

Designation "NR" of this bofors design L/70 round could be for Netherlands or Belgium.
Yougoslavian made one (APT, shot with tracer) with the same shape.

Regards

yougo 40mm l70.jpg

The case looks like it might have been made in 2006. We can't read all the writing on the rotating band of the projo, to interpret a date.

Since you are new, one of the BOCN rules is that you download the photos to BOCN so they are visible to all. When you type text in this box, go to "Go Advanced" at the bottom, and then to "Manage Attachments", and then to "Add Files"

..or you could simply 'click' on the picture symbol in this box and upload them directly from your device.