What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British WW2 5.25in Drill Cartridge

Vasco Da Gama

I thought to post a few pictures of a 5.25in drill cartridge I have had for a while, just needed a good clean. Not in perfect condition,with some coppering on the case, but I don't think these turn up all that often. The case is weighted to represent the propelling charge (24.75lbs of cordite) and closed with a brass cap. The rim diameter is 187mm, length 772mm and width of the cap is 147mm. My understanding is the Mk2 gun was the Army, land based anti-aircraft version of the standard naval weapon and it worked to a higher chamber pressure. Pictured next to a 40mm Bofors case to give an indication of the size, no wonder guided missiles appeared to be a better option!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 59
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 46
Very nice! Never seen a drill round before, and the fired cases do not seem to be particularly common here, either.
Roger.

Case made by - ICI S - ICI Swansea
Converted to drill by - QE Ltd - Queensway Ltd, Stanmore, Middx
Primer made by - B Ltd - Bryce Ltd, Hackbridge, Surrey
Primer filled by - TAW - Vickers Armstrong Ltd, Thames Ammunition Works, Kent.

TimG