What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dutch fuzes nomenclature

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

Does anyone could explain how Dutch made classification of fuzes.
When I read documentations I often found different fuzes with same designation number.
Ok when fuzes have different operation, percu, time or TP (ex : No3 sb, No3 tb, No3 tsb) but it's confusing with same operation (ex : No 8 sb, same number for different shape).
I noticed letters were added after number, what these letters stand for ?
For example : (NM), (NL), (NIL)

Regards

Nl is Nederlands leger (Dutch army), NIL is Nederlands Indische leger (Dutch Indonesian army), KM is koninklijke marine (royal navy). For fuzes with the same number and operation like the No 8, you have a No 8 NM ( new model) and a No 8 OM ( Old model).

Last edited:
Thank you for details.
For the example of No8 I thought to different fuzes (No 8 (NM)) and many other examples.

No8 NM.jpg

I'm little bit confused because (NM) is mentionned like (NL), (NIL)... after the designation number.

Not sure but I think blu97 could talk about another No8. Thanks to his team I know another very different No8 (2 variants,new and old model)

No8.jpg

I know its confusing, but the first No 8 NM is a naval fuse. The second No 8 is also NM but army. Here is the No 8 OM from the army.

Attachments

• sb no 8 om.jpg
    sb no 8 om.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 33
Ok thanks for details, that's what I thought, two different No8 (NM), one for Navy (my 1st picture), and No8 New Model, Army (my 2nd picture).

The letters between brackets are indicating the army or navy.
(NM)= Dutch Navy; (NL)= Dutch Army; (NIL)= Dutch Indonesian Army.

The indications OM (=Old Model) and NM (=New Model) were used without brackets,just behind the number of the fuze.

A thing which is really annoying is the fact that in some cases when a fuze was obsolete the number was given to another fuze. So it can happen that two different fuzes have the same number.

An example of this is the sb No. 15 (of the Dutch Army). When the sb No. 15 was obsolete,this number was given to the sb No. 14. Subsequently the number 14 was given to an altered version of the sb No. 13. So in the books you can come across two different No's 14 and two different No's 15.

Another example is that the Army and Navy sometimes used the same fuze, but they each gave it a different number.
This makes studying Dutch fuzes sometimes very confusing.

Attachments

• sb No 15 verv.JPG
    sb No 15 verv.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 41
  • sb no 15.jpg
    sb no 15.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 35
In the past it was to confuse the enemy, now it is to confuse collectors :bigsmile:

Thanks Greif, I didnt know that from the brackets learned something again.