What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12,7x99 (.50 Browning) Incendiary cartridges

pzgr40

Premium Member
Cutaway models of three types of Incendiary cartridges as used in the Browning .50 machineguns.
It is interesting to observe the differences:

Type 1; Incendiary M1. The projectile has a boat tail, filled with a lead plug. Above the boat tail a steel pipe is placed, filled with Thermite ( a mixture of 45% aluminiumpowder, 45% iron oxide, 5% barium nitrate, and 5% binding agent). This is the most common type of incendiary projectile.
The loose bullet can be recognized by the boat tail and the double knurled groove on the projectile body.
The nose color is light blue (if still present).

Type 2; Incendiary The projectile has a straight body, a short lead base plug and a longer steel pipe, containing more Thermite than the M1 type
The loose bullet can be recognized by the flat bottom with a small fillet and a knurled groove and a thin groove on the body.
The nose color is light blue.

Type 3; Incendiary M23 the projectile has a straight body with a lead base plug, above which a thermite filled steel cup is placed. This projectile contains much more Thermite (5,83 grams) than the types 1 & 2and was meant to ignite the fuel tanks of enemy planes. The M23 was especially meant for usage in aircraft weapons.
The loose bullet can be recognized by the flat bottom with a small fillet and a wide and narrow knurled groove on the body.
The nose color is dark blue with a light blue ring below it. This type of incendiary projectile is not often encountered.

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 12,7x99 Incendiary.jpg
    12,7x99 Incendiary.jpg
    272.7 KB · Views: 96
I got some more info today;
There are four types of Incendiary bullets , The M1, The M1 alt 1, the M1 alt2 and the M23.
The M2 alt 2 is completely new to me.
As can be observed in the drawings , the knurled rings or grooves on the projectile body are meant for identifying the different types of incendiaries.

Studying the M1 alt.1 drawing I realized the lead plug in the base of the pipe was missing, so I added one. So, with the four drawings, the improved projectile 2 on the piccture

Regards, DJH

Attachments

• 12,7x99 incendiary.jpg
    12,7x99 incendiary.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 01 - 12,9x99 Incendiary M1.jpg
    01 - 12,9x99 Incendiary M1.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 02 - 12,7x99 Incendiary M1 alt 1.jpg
    02 - 12,7x99 Incendiary M1 alt 1.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 03 - 12,7x99 Incendiary M23.jpg