What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sea Mine, Suspended, Inert Training Aid, what is it?

Hello BOCN, it's been awhile since I was last on and I have another conundrum. I have an Inert Sea Mine which has lugs on it that indicates it is a suspended variant but the size does not match anything I can find. It resembles an Egyptian shallow water sea mine but size is out. The item I have is 18.5" across with three mock up horns which may represent tilt switches or chemical horns. I am not sure if this item is a mock up for clearance divers to train with or is actually meant to represent a real item. I have attached some photos.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.jpg
    IMG_0332.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    296.8 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0334.jpg
    IMG_0334.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
looks like its a training version of this mine,dimensions are exactly the same as yours

Attachments

• P1030356.JPG
    P1030356.JPG
    154 KB · Views: 25
  • P1030357.JPG
    P1030357.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 31
just noticed that the diameters are different,could be the one ive shown has been measured at the sphere diameter and not the band around the middle or maybe your one is not a very accurate copy

I think we agree that due to the small size it is probably shallow water. The item I have is not spherical like your MAL-17, mine is like an upside down webber BBQ in it's shape. This one is a bit of a puzzle.