What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Hispano rounds?

Hello everybody,

Recently, I purchased 2 20mm inert rounds. I was wondering if anybody could tell me a little bit more about it. One of the heads is removable and its says 2°-1-DDCCO-P. One of the cases has a dent in it. Is there an easy way to fix this?

Greetings from Belgium

Sander

Attachments

• IMG_1683.jpg
    IMG_1683.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1685.jpg
    IMG_1685.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    298.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1678.jpg
    IMG_1678.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1687.jpg
    IMG_1687.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1679.jpg
    IMG_1679.jpg
    289.1 KB · Views: 56
WWII dated Kynoch & Raleigh (as in the bicycles) made rounds - the `removable head` as you call it is the fuze.
Both projectiles appear to be HE or might be dummy fuzes?
As to the dent I would not worry about it - you need the correct tools to repair & if you do not have them can do more harm!
Display with the dent out of sight.
Otherwise fairly nice condition complete-ish rounds.
Primer may have been drilled out for displaying or because it was live.
I have links for these.

The projectile in the second case looks more like a 20x110 Orlikon and with that alloy fuze I wouldn't mind betting it's a Yank one at that....is it very loose fit in the Hispano case?
The K2 is as Hicky says Kynoch the 2 means it was manfactured in their Standish factory in Lancashire.
As the first one doesn't seem to have a fuze it would have been a ball or tracer projectile.

Atb
Tony

Last edited:
The pic below might be of interest, showing the loadings mainly used by the RAF:

hispano1.jpg
From left to right: Ball/practice (used as combat load initially); HEI; SAPI; AP

WWII dated Kynoch & Raleigh (as in the bicycles) made rounds - the `removable head` as you call it is the fuze.
Both projectiles appear to be HE or might be dummy fuzes?
As to the dent I would not worry about it - you need the correct tools to repair & if you do not have them can do more harm!
Display with the dent out of sight.
Otherwise fairly nice condition complete-ish rounds.
Primer may have been drilled out for displaying or because it was live.
I have links for these.

Thanks for the information. Indeed, one of them is missing a primer... I believe it isn't a real fuze but just a dummy one...

Sander

The projectile in the second case looks more like a 20x110 Orlikon and with that alloy fuze I wouldn't mind betting it's a Yank one at that....is it very loose fit in the Hispano case?
The K2 is as Hicky says Kynoch the 2 means it was manfactured in their Standish factory in Lancashire.
As the first one doesn't seem to have a fuze it would have been a ball or tracer projectile.

Atb
Tony

Dear Tony,

Thank you for the information. The fit on the one with the fuze is tight. On the other hand, the one without the fuze fits quite loosely in the case... Does that make any sense?

With kind regards
Sander

Hi Sander,
no not really,looking at your photo of it the drive band looks like the Oerlikon,narrower than the Hispano and Oerlikon projectiles only have a diameter of around 18mm below the drive band which should make it a very loose fit in any other 20mm case....does the projectile have any markings stamped in it? eg MK 3 and LOT number?.
Also I can comfirm that the markings you give on your fuze that it is a U.S. Orelikon fuze...the thing with U.S 20x110 Oerlikons is that they used fuzes in all loads,even the dummy rounds came with a dummy fuze.

Atb
Tony

Last edited:
The fourth photographs is a projectile does not correspond the projectile is an oerlikon 20x110RB and sheath 20x110HS.e
Saludos buen week-end
Enrique

It does look like the one on the left. Was it really being used as a combat load? That would be quite interesting ;)

When the Hispano first entered RAF service it used HE shells of original French design, but it turned out that the fuze was too sensitive so the shells tended to blow up on impact with the aircraft skin, instead of penetrating into the aircraft first (the Luftwaffe's 20mm shells initially suffered from the same problem). As an emergency measure, they added some ball rounds to the belt, which were a lot more destructive than you might expect as they penetrated deeply.

The HEI shell was introduced to replace the HE, and was given a less sensitive strikerless fuze as well as some incendiary effect.

The next stage was the replacement of the ball round with the SAPI, as this penetrated well and had a lot of incendiary effect.

From then on (around 1942) the standard belt mix was 50% HEI, 50% SAPI. The AP shot saw relatively little use, I think it was mainly reserved for ground attack.

I agree with Smle2009 the second projectile looking at the driving band a body shape both indicative are of the Oerlikon.
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Sander,
no not really,looking at your photo of it the drive band looks like the Oerlikon,narrower than the Hispano and Oerlikon projectiles only have a diameter of around 18mm below the drive band which should make it a very loose fit in any other 20mm case....does the projectile have any markings stamped in it? eg MK 3 and LOT number?.
Also I can comfirm that the markings you give on your fuze that it is a U.S. Orelikon fuze...the thing with U.S 20x110 Oerlikons is that they used fuzes in all loads,even the dummy rounds came with a dummy fuze.

Atb
Tony

Dear Tony,

After closer inspection, I noticed that the round has markings on it. Its says: MK 3 24. This one fits perfectly in the drilled out case from 1942. The other round is the one that fits quite loosely in the case which is stamped 20mm R.H. 1943.

With kind regards
Sander