What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing the Percussion Cap/Primer Assembly from a 25 pdr cartridge

GilBray

Dear All
I recently bought a 25 pdr cartridge case and would like to disassemble the percussion cap/primer assembly from it. Clearly there's a proper tool for doing that. Could anyone advise me where to borrow one, please?
regs
Gil Bray

Many use a hammer & punch but this can damage the cap.
If you search Ebay `adjustable peg spanner` or adjustable pin wrench` as the man above supplied a link to there are plenty available for £3+ - you may have to file/grind the pins/pegs to fit?

If you have a workshop/tools make a peg spanner
Spray inside & out with penetrating oil.
Measure distance between the two tool holes.
Mark & drill a flat piece of metal plate at one end to the suitable diameter for two `pins` to go into. Ensure long enough to hold past rim of case.
Insert two pins in plate & engage in the cap holes/slots.
Standard RH thread so the rule `righty tighty, lefty loosey` applies!

I have sockets I have ground to produce a range of primer removal tools.

Last edited:
Whereabouts in the UK are you? I have the proper tools for removing 25pr primers, if you're willing to bring it here.

Maplins electrical stores have a tool called a Watch Case Opener from Rolson tools it has different size pegs

Hope this is of use
Tomsk

Attachments

• 100_4431.jpg
    100_4431.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 61
If I remember rightly, Mitch from military mementoes had a tool made for these type of primers to be removed.

Ideally, you want one of these -

IMG_0096.jpg

Then, if the the pins 'cam' out and destroy the slots there is a tool that fits over the magazine of the primer and locks onto the holes, so it can be unscrewed from the inside - so to speak. (The latter may well have been of ARMADU 'local manufacture.')

TimG

How old is your 25 Pounder case? I believe only post-war cases had primers with flash tubes.

I have removed a smaller primer before now with a length of hollow steel tube with a hole drilled through it. I then put the tube over the primer flash tube, pushed an m4 bolt through this hole and through the holes in the flash tube. It worked very well, and there was also no risk of damaging the outer tool slots.