What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

An interesting 9mm

Slick

Found this one in the lot. Initial guess is German. 1941. 102 = ? "star" = ? dou. = ?
DSCF0342 (2).JPG DSCF0343 (2).JPG

102 = lot number
dou = Waffenwerke Brunn AG., Werk Bystrica (CR)
* = brass case

Last edited:
Slick,
You are right, this is an interesting P08 round. Based on my 60+ years of collecting 9x19mm, it is by far the most commonly encountered German P08 round from WWII. Lots 99, 100, 101, 103 and 104, the last lots produced by dou in 1941, are encountered but not nearly as often as lot 102. I am still missing lots 97 & 95, as well as 63 of the proceeding lots (including lots 1-7).

I can only think of two reasons. Either lot 102 was much larger than the lots that went before it or after it, or the history of this lot of ammunition was very different from the other lots. Perhaps this lot, or most of it, went into storage and was never issued for use. or perhaps the other lots went to the Eastern front and lot 102 went to the western front and little or none of it happened to be issued. Perhaps it went to Norway and very little of this lot was consumed.

There are lot numbers by all manufacturers of P08 ammunition during WWII that are basically unknown and the conventional wisdom (which is often wrong) is that these lots went to the Eastern Front and that collectors in the West would never encounter them. In fact, it is interesting that so many lots still exist. I would love to know the story behind lot 102.

Congratulations on finding perhaps the most common P08 cartridge from WWII. It really is a very interesting round.

Cheers,
Lew

Your story about the easternfront can be true. My dad once took some 7,92x57 round home after a hunting trip to the easern part of poland. I have never seen Dutch smile so much after a visit to my table at the following NVBMB meeting. He found 6 or 8 headstamps he didn't have yet. He said it was a long time ago since that happened.

Your story about the easternfront can be true. My dad once took some 7,92x57 round home after a hunting trip to the easern part of poland. I have never seen Dutch smile so much after a visit to my table at the following NVBMB meeting. He found 6 or 8 headstamps he didn't have yet. He said it was a long time ago since that happened.

This is correct,

The Problem for a head stamp collector is that if the Germans shipped ammunition to, for example France or Norway, these cartridges were never shipped back to Germany.
If a fellow collector comes out of these countries, I always find some missing German head stamps for my collection.

Dutch