What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Completed 57mm Recoilless Rifle Round

pzjgr

And if this weekend wasn't good enough, popped into my favorite milsurp store on Friday, I saw a 57mm Recoiless projectile in a cabinet with what looked like possibly a correct fuze...so I asked if it was for sale, it was. The quoted price was probably too much, but I really wanted to complete a round since I had a case for it. And I never see a projectile with a decent fuze...

So, the fuze seems to be the correct body, but its missing the screw on the side, and the part on top which would hold the striker portion....otherwise seems to be the right shape, and the little v notch on top. The strange thing it is completely devoid of markings, nothing at all...

I think the projectile is fairly early, dated 1945, and labeled M 306, not 306A1...

It was painted with some sort of forest green paint, so I stenciled and re-painted it....I used a piece of heavy grey card stock rolled up in the case to simulate the liner, and popped the projectile into it...I was very pleased with the final product.

Any ideas on the odd unmarked fuze body? An unfinished body?

Attachments

• 57r 1.jpg
    57r 1.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 86
  • 57r 3.jpg
    57r 3.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 65
  • 57r 4.jpg
    57r 4.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 57r 5.jpg
    57r 5.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 60
Interested to know what is the nomenclature of this fuze with top screwed.

Long ago research on the fuze resulted in finding they are non-existent to the collector. Something about being near impossible to inert. Ended up sticking a resin copy in mine. And am thinking the fuze you have is not correct for that round due to the hole in the side. Profile is close, but that hole is making me think it belongs to some other round, maybe a mortar. I looked in the 43-0001-28 manual. An M503 or M90 series fuze is listed, depending on projectile. Neither show that side hole.

Fuze M503.jpg Fuze M503 side.jpg

On a side note, Indiana Army Surplus (source for my example) sells the pre-painted projectiles for $28. Unpainted - $21.

Last edited:
Long ago research on the fuze resulted in finding they are non-existent to the collector. Something about being near impossible to inert. Ended up sticking a resin copy in mine. And am thinking the fuze you have is not correct for that round due to the hole in the side. Profile is close, but that hole is making me think it belongs to some other round, maybe a mortar. I looked in the 43-0001-28 manual. An M503 or M90 series fuze is listed, depending on projectile. Neither show that side hole.

Hmm, I was sort of going by this picture, posted by HAZORD in this thread...

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/50710-57mm-recoilless-projectile?highlight=57mm+recoilless

Same screw in side, same additional piece on top...of course, that might not be the correct fuze either....it does look "mortarish", but also reminiscent of the fuze used on US 37mm HE projectiles, the PD M56 type...

Attachments

• 57 RR W repro fuze.jpg
    57 RR W repro fuze.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I'd be last in line to question HAZORD, but no manual I've seen showed that "side-screw" fuze. Again, my search for a hole filler was years ago and I ended up with that plastic option. Anxious to see how attention to this new thread might bring new insights, and maybe fuze options.

Looking at the 1949 57mm manual TM9-314 it shows these rounds with the screw in the side of the fuze which states it's a M89 fuze or a M90 fuze with boresafety. Boresafety is provided for means of rotor and lock mechanism. The firing pin is protected against premature functioning by a cup support, which is designed to withstand loads upto 40 pounds. The M90 fuze is a single action super quick strikerless fuze. No setting or other preparation for firing is required. Same Boresafety arrangement as with the M89 fuze. The fuze you have is correct for the projectile and date.
Love to own a recoiless 57mm Round but won't entertain stupid prices.

Last edited:
Here is some stuff I dug up on the M89...

"Fuze M89 is a single action type providing superquick functioning on target impact. It arms at relatively low speeds of rotation for use with 57mm recoilless rifle ammunition"

Attachments

• M89 Fuze.png
    M89 Fuze.png
    54.6 KB · Views: 30
Just for interest , a 57mm I picked up at an auction awhile back. After reading the posts, I feel lucky to have an authentic 57 mm fuze and complete cartridge. At the time , I bought it only because the price was reasonable ( 75$) and I had some cash. Dumb luck.
fuze reads, fuze p.d.m503a1 lot-lop--12-5 5-54. Projo: HMU - 4-433 53 . 57mm He m306a1 HECO --. Case: 57mm m30a1b1
52 1954

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 17
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    155.7 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpeg