What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Porthcurno Telegraph Museum & 13 inch dolphin handled mortar Hayle

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
if visiting West Cornwall, try Porthcurno - great beach and also the Telegraph Museum mostly situated in the WW2 underground tunnels. Mostly technical historic telegraph equipment but a few home front WW2 items including a bomb that fell near the tunnels shortly after they had been completed. Also one of the pillboxes built to protect the telegraph station and some of the immediate views. See also Tigbrand before we fired him across the estuary - you wouldn't want to see a photo of him after he had landed!

Attachments

• port3.jpg
    port3.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 40
  • port2.jpg
    port2.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 39
  • port1.jpg
    port1.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 38
  • tig.jpg
    tig.jpg
    244 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_2696.jpg
    100_2696.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_2694.jpg
    100_2694.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_2693.jpg
    100_2693.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 34
  • 100_2704.jpg
    100_2704.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 36
Had to check the mirror to see if I was the attractive young man next to the mortar or the lovely blonde in the other. Unfortunately i never had my glasses on and I seem to be neither!
See you and hopefully the Andover massive at the Ashurst military extravaganza on Wednesday night:wink:Tig.

that's one hell of a mortar,must of taken 3or4 men to get the ball loaded!
probably 2 men with an iron bar and a pair of calipers in the middle which hook into the lifting loops each side of the fuze hole. All we had to do was throw a penny in the muzzle and Tigbrand climbed in on his own to get it - easy!

This name "Porthcurno" has a bit of Spanish or Portuguese flavour in it. Any idea about its origin?