What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Box ID Please

Weasel

Premium Member
Can anyone help me with the identification of the outer box that hold the four smaller ones containing 7.62mm. i am also interested in the metal tags that are used to seal these outers seen in the range pic on top of the boxes.
Thanks in advance, best Weasel.

DSC_0620-700x850.JPG7.62 outer id.jpg

On eBay from WS Supplies Ltd, CARR No 29 Mk 1 SV 251 SA

and from Swansons Militaria SV 253 SA

Hi Andy, As Said it is a Carrier No 29 if you are after one I have a spare and a couple of the seals as well.

Thank you very much for your replies, very helpful indeed. I was shown a picture of one of the tags by an archeologist working on a range up north and was asked if i knew where they were from in context with the landscape and its recent millitary use. Am i to assume that these tags are used for sealing all sorts of ammunition boxes or are they used on any other kit ? Thank you Richard for your offer, i will give you a call, best Weasel

You are correct, the metal seals are have been replaced by plastic seals. although some makers still use them, each seal will carry the monogram of the Maker or depot that sealed or re-sealed the container. Similar type plastic seals are used for sealing other attractive/hazardous items in metal boxes.

Web Seals 005.jpgWeb Seals 001.jpgWeb Seals 002.jpgWeb Seals 003.jpgWeb Seals 004.jpg

The design of the seal of thin metal, with a tapered toothed section, was by a Company called Sealfast, who produced the associated Sealfast punch.
In use the wire was, threaded through the package hasp and twisted together. The seal was put in the punch and the twisted wire was placed against the small upturned lip at the toothed tapered end of the seal. Pressure on the punch handles rotated the seal round the wire until all the teeth were used up, then extra pressure squashed the seal onto the wire so it could not be pulled off.
The actual wire used was specially made for it and was quite fine, but with an outer thin wire wound round and round the central wire.
This system was used by UK ammunition technical staff from about 1955 and to my knowledge into the late 70s and perhaps beyond.
There was a large range of seals made for all ammunition depots and ammunition inspectorate staff, each with their own specific code letters.
Who in those days could imagine that anyone would want to collect such things?

Sealfast tool for those that have never seen one, One seal partly bent to aid AE501's great explanation above.

Web seals 2 001.jpgWeb seals 2 002.jpgWeb seals 2 004.jpgWeb seals 2 005.jpgWeb seals 2 010.jpgWeb seals 2 013.jpg