What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

11 x 54 ?

Slick

This one has me stumped. Thinking it may be resized. The hs has a military air about it. And looks like a remnant of a bottleneck shoulder.
SAA 11 X 54.jpg SAA 11 X 54 hs.jpg

As I was lining up the assortment, the "11 X 54" was next to the .45-70. On closer examination, the rim/head difference made me think it was something else. Maybe a Euro round. Maybe even Russian, due to the headstamp. That's what threw me off for the most part. Maybe I'm overthinking it. I'll put it down as a .45-70 with a ?.

SAA 45-70.jpg SAA 45-70 rim.jpg

The headstamp is a bit blurry but it appears to me to read 'F 8 93' in which case it is Frankford Arsenal manufacture in August 1893.
Jim

Slick,

This is a standard U.S Military .45-70-500 (500gr bullet) loaded by Frankford Arsenal, the cartridge case was made in August of 1893 and is nickel plated.

Brian