What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

37mm (1 pounder) unknown

earni74

Premium Member
I have this 37mm (1 pounder) projectile and I have not managed to identify it, the only stamp I can find is highlighted in yellow, it was in a Hotchkiss Paris case,thanks181.jpg180.jpg179.jpg178.jpg182.jpg

Pretty sure it is not Hotchkiss made. It is likely pre 1900. I will do some looking and see what I can find.

Hi HD, could not find anything the same or similar in my paperwork, thanks for trying to help

I would say that it is Dutch. The base spacer if correct (no reason it's not if it screws in properly) would imply an external screw in base fuze. Otherwise the type uses a large Hotchkiss base and internal Hotchkiss fuze. Numerous cases were used Hotchkiss, Dutch & German, others can better advise on that.
But your Hotchkiss case is fine, I have found one with that case, it seems it was a matter of price regarding case purchases.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    265.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
I agree with Gordon. I have an example, but point fuzed, 5 reload marks with D's, Ellsworth Ordnance co? some what distorted. I am told that Holland bought ammo from many companies in many countries. I have seen some Dutch rounds and my memory feels right for this projectile.

Gordon, the base spacer (adapter) would indeed take an external base fuze, but would it be a Hotchkiss base fuze ? thanks

Hello,
DJH made a cutaway of a Dutch 3.7cm Gr with same bands (model with head fuze)
Regards

3.7 gr dutch.jpg

I hope he cut a damaged round, Dutch 37s are not common and any associated cases are also difficult - I'm sometimes disturbed to see some
scarce things cut that are not originally done in the original period. The result here doesn't inform us of much and is rendered worthless in my estimate, the original uncut round would otherwise be a great addition to any collection. But this is another discussion for another time ~

I have not seen an external base fuze on a Dutch projectile before so I really can't say, but odds are it's a
Hotchkiss type. There is the possibility (perhaps the greater possibility) that this adapter was used to fit a tracer or tracer/fuze combination. These were made by
the Semple company in the U.S. and France purchased their tracers during WW1. So this is a possibility and you want to make
sure that the base adapter is a nice clean fit etc. so to be sure it is original.

Last edited:
many thanks to you all for your comments and the photo of the sectioned round
Mick

-It was allready a sectioned round, but not straight and severely rusted, so I patched it up and improved it (added fake powdercharge in shellcase and projectile).
-In my opinion, the value af a piece of ammo is not descided by money, but by it's "studying ammo" value.
-Posessing ammo -especially (inert) military ammo- is subject to strict regulations in the Netherlands. When a licence is revoked for some reason, either the law changes , you lose your stuff. Cutaway models are free to posess, so no risc of confiscation (exeptions are cutaway models of mines and handgrenades).

Last edited:
Found these pictures in my computer.
I think these are from a forum member (Andre Durieux)

37mm DUTCH 1.jpg37mm DUTCH2.jpg

So we have another with the base adapter, drawings of the standard Hotchkiss &coiled case and a solid shot which I have never seen.

I don't think it is a Dutch projectile. The shape of the lower driving band doesn't seem Dutch. See detailed drawing and photo. Furthermore the Dutch documentation only mention a solid AP shot with double driving band. The Dutch SAP has a single broad brass driving band.

Attachments

• detail gb 3,7 cm.jpg
    detail gb 3,7 cm.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 25
  • bdst 3,7 cm Hembrug 1928.JPG
    bdst 3,7 cm Hembrug 1928.JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 29
Point taken, you have then it seems a really good old original sectioned projectile.
"-It was already a sectioned round, but not straight and severely rusted, so I patched it up and improved it (added fake powder charge in shell case and projectile).
-In my opinion, the value af a piece of ammo is not decided by money, but by it's "studying ammo" value."

Both of my Dutch projectiles, showing two lower band styles. Actual Dutch made cases are scarce at least I could never find one.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 8.JPG
    IMG_0001 8.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 23