Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.
    Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks

Interesting 2" Mortar.

As with all collecting,there are lean spells when nothing turns up, then in one week I manage to obtain three 2" mortar rounds! 2 early tinned para illuminating rounds in good condition and one oddball.
    At first I dismissed it as an attempt at a lamp or suchlike but on closer inspection it is too well made for that. The seller said he was sold it as a training round to simulate firing a standard round. The center is bored out and has a steel sleeve fitted nearly full length. There is space in the fins to fit something similar to a saluting blank.
    In the pics the fins look to be fitted wonky but when the round is turned in v blocks they are in line perfectly.
    This has been made in a machine shop and is well made, the replica fuze is roll pinned to the tube at the top and two screws hold the fins to the tube.
    It has been made from the standard type drill/practice round.
    Any info would be appreciated,but im sure this is correct and not a hash up.
    Thanks in advance Tig
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always seeking British flares.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    It looks as though it is the projectile part of Projectile, Cordtex, Anti-Tripwire, Mortar, 2 inch MkI.
    It should be very rare, having no real use with the end of WWII, however, there may be other collectors who have one and do not know what it is.
    Basically, it is twinned 90 yards of Cordtex attached to the front of the projectile, which is fired about 80 yards over an area of suspected tripwires, is then pulled back slowly to take up the slack, to bring it into contact with any trip-wires, then detonated.
    There is also a grapnel version but the projectile is much different.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AE501 For This Useful Post:

AMMOTECHXT (8th October 2017)

Ordnance Approved
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,341 Times in 614 Posts
    Hello,

As far as I know cordtex round has a different head.
    Pic below matches with the diagram.

2in cordtex.jpg

Your round looks similar to this Drill round :

2in drill 1.jpg2in drill.jpg
    Last edited by MINENAZ16; 8th October 2017 at 08:56 AM.
    Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by EOD personnel .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MINENAZ16 For This Useful Post:

AE501 (8th October 2017)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Minenaz16 you beat me to it.
    The cap is a standard pressed cap with 'Remove before firing' embossed on it, but additionally stamped 'Not to be fired'. In this instance the cap is missing.
    It was modified at production to take a central internal screw threaded spigot which was steel and could be removed many times when training mortar users.
    This represented the Bomb Mortar 2" HE or Smoke Bursting WP which both had the Fuze No 151, 151A or 161.
    This also included the British 2" Mk3 Bomb Thrower, which was also WP, and fuzed 151 and 151A.

Premium Member
    Thanks
    Since you mentioned 2" Mor. Grapnel, here's one.

TimG

IMG_0110.jpgIMG_0112.jpg

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TimG For This Useful Post:

AE501 (8th October 2017), MINENAZ16 (8th October 2017), reccetrooper (8th October 2017)

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Thanks very much for the input chaps, My round is based on the Standard 2" Drill/ practice shown by Minen16, I have various types of this, but the round I have just got is very different, the steel tube has been fitted right through center of the whole round and secured to the replica fuse at the fuse and fins. This is not homemade due to the machining involved. I will attempt a cross section drawing to show its design in the next few days, thanks Tig.

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks
    Attached a rough cutaway sketch. Cheers tig
    Attached Images Attached Images