What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cal. .50 assortment

Slick

While gathering things from shelves and drawers, I've noticed a little variety in the .50 category. There is more, somewhere, I just haven't run across it all yet. There are some projectiles still tumbling and will be included in whatever display I end up with. As can be seen, my initial display box idea is too small. Gonna need a bigger boat, as they say.

SAA .50.jpg

The chromed one was given to me by Frank Donofrio(RIP), who used to manage the Memphis Belle B17 when it was in Memphis years ago. I got to crawl around in it when it was in the big tent by the river. He gave those chromed rounds out to folks who donated to the cause or that he liked. I fell in the liked category.

Last edited:
Slick,

What is the headstamp on the blackened case round and the 0.50 BAT Spotter (12.7x76mm) on the very right?

The two longer bullets of the four bullets on the right appear to be derivatives of the Limited Range Training bullet (see the attached info sheet, LRTA = Limited Range Training Ammunition), have not seen the series ribs/groves in the in the bullet jacket before.

Brian

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
BD

There is no headstamp on the blackened case. I got it from Brownells. One of their dummy rounds. As for the .50 BAT spotter, well, uh, I can't read it now. As mentioned, I'm making displays out of some of these things and the end result for the .50s is this:

SAA .50 display.jpg

They are glued to the base, now. If you REALLY need to know, I can undo it and glue it back.

The Limited Range Training projectiles. I think I acquired them at SLICS.
The gray ones appear to be missing a couple of manufacturing steps. Milling the "tail" and a copper wash.

SAA .50 short range.jpg

Slick,

Very interesting, I wonder if these are examples of early development?

Thanks for sharing.

Brian

In the process of re-doing the .50 display, I noticed that the "M48" spotter round (LC 77 h/s, Brian) projectile with the silver/red(APIT) tip may not be correct. A hole filled at some point. In a fired hull. The primer is struck. If I'm not mistaken, the correct colors should be yellow/red for the spotter tracer.

In the process of re-doing the .50 display, I noticed that the "M48" spotter round (LC 77 h/s, Brian) projectile with the silver/red(APIT) tip may not be correct. A hole filled at some point. In a fired hull. The primer is struck. If I'm not mistaken, the correct colors should be yellow/red for the spotter tracer.
Slick, You are correct. As per our discussion in the past, you alerted me to the fact the full size .50 cal Spotter rounds I had acquired for shooting were loaded by a company who pulled them and reloaded them into .50 BMG cases, makes for exciting shooting. I consulted my TM and yes they are listed only for the .50 BAT cartridge. Talon ( out of business) had pulled the spotter projectile and loaded them into .50 BMG cases. The ones I have are in TW 45 cases. I am currently looking for a US WW2 dated 37mm round to complete my collection used in Airshows and events.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 29
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator: