What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British fuze, T & P, 17 seconds

sgdbdr

Hi,

Reading the "Handbook for Q.F. 12,5-PR Gun", London, 1902. (Available on the Victoria State Library website, see my post in 'Others')
The last plate (X) is about the time and percussion 17 seconds fuze (see picture).

Image4.jpg

Does someone has a drawing of the internals ? (and maybe a photo)
Did this fuze get a designation number ?

Regards,

S.

Sgdbdr,

It's a No. 58 fuze. I might have a diagram, I'll check later.

TimG

S.

Having looked at the last post by Minenaz16, I agree, it's a No. 59. The plate he has shown is a Woolwich one and can be taken as fact, the list is incorrect. Apologies for sending you off in the wrong direction.

TimG

Hi Tim,

In my opinion N° 58 seems a bit different :
View attachment 137827

I think it's more likely the n° 59 : http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/89078-Unknown-Projectile-22-Sec-fuze/page2

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction

S.

This might help:

No. 59 Fuze,Time and Percussion, 17 second

Design RL11380. A Krupp design originally, submitted by Vickers, Son & Maxim in 1902for the QF 12½pr shrapnel. In two parts: the body, with timerings and magazine; and the 'igniter' containing the ignition and percussionarrangements. The body was carried screwed into the shell, the hole beingcovered, and the igniter unit was inserted prior to loading. The object behindall this was to obviate accidents due to vibration when carried in limbers.

Mk1 introducedwith List of change No. 11465 dated 01/05/1902 which also introduced the 12½pr gun

Obsoletewith List of change No. 14827 of11/3/1909

Regards. Depotman

Last edited: