What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

47x140mm

earni74

Premium Member
here is my 47x140mmR60/61 can anyone tell me about this and does it have its own projectile,thanks012.jpg013.jpg

Yes, it has it's own projectile It has a very broad, brass rotating band with 5 rolled grooves. Base fuzed. this applies to the early version. Don't know about a 1916 version. Other countries have different bands.

002.jpg003.jpg004.jpgI have this 47mm projectile, it is 165mm long (this does not include the fuze adapter at the base) the only clear stamp I can make out is the #7 and what looks like a flaming bomb to the right of the 7,it is so feint that I cannot confirm, your comments please

That is a Hotchkiss 3pr Navel projectile for the standard 3pr case, except you will need one made by Hotchkiss Paris. I sent one to a friend in
Texas 6+ years ago and never saw one since, It will be French Navy before the adoption of the double banded Mle 1888. Notice it is the same style as the 37mm for the 37x307 (302) case.

Here is a 47mm Aircraft cannon in France. The 47mm 1916 case is the same size as the Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon case but these wartime cases were loaded with D shells. Other wise you would need a French Navy Mle 1888 47mm for it which is shorter than the Navel 3pr you have. I show the more common PD version of the D shell.

I have added an 1889 page showing the various Hotchkiss rounds.

Attachments

• 47mmcannon3.jpg
    47mmcannon3.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 47mmcannon5.jpg
    47mmcannon5.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 47mm.jpg
    47mm.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 47 obus ordinaire fr.jpg
    47 obus ordinaire fr.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 46
  • h43.jpg
    h43.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
Thanks Gordon for your photo's and setting me straight, re the Hotchkiss 3 Pdr naval projectile I have, I will find a case for it one fine day, if/when I do,i will be sure to let you know,and thanks to all who commented on my post

They are all of an elongated streamlined (boat tailed) modern shape "D" shell is the French designation. They have a small D among the markings.
Totally different from the previous Hotchkiss type shapes.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    234.7 KB · Views: 31