What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 German Torpedo Pistol PI1 question

Bellifortis

Hallo you torpedo buffs,
I have a question regarding the WW2 german torpedo pistol PI 1 . Attached to the inside rim of the transport-container lid for the pistol. there is attached a springclip, that holds a small aluminum tube (similar to the WW2 medical-tablet tubes). Inside this tube is a folded length of thin , laquered , copper wire , similar to that used in small electric motor windings, or resistance wire. Does anybody here know, what the use of this copperwise is ? Thanking you in advance for your consideration, I remain with kind regards,
Bellifortis.

Hi Bellifortis,

BOCN Member "Natter" is the SME (Subject Matter Expert) for WW2 German torpedoes - may I suggest that you reach out to him.

Cheers
Drew

First: Sorry for a late reply (I haven't been logged in here for months...).

BOCN Member "Natter" is the SME (Subject Matter Expert) for WW2 German torpedoes - may I suggest that you reach out to him.
I don't know if I'm an "expert", but I do have a keen interest and some knowledge on the topic :)

I have a question regarding the WW2 german torpedo pistol PI 1 . Attached to the inside rim of the transport-container lid for the pistol. there is attached a springclip, that holds a small aluminum tube (similar to the WW2 medical-tablet tubes). Inside this tube is a folded length of thin , laquered , copper wire , similar to that used in small electric motor windings, or resistance wire. Does anybody here know, what the use of this copperwise is ? Thanking you in advance for your consideration, I remain with kind regards,
Bellifortis.
I sent you a message, but I'm not sure if it came through. Anyway, I guess it makes sense to put the answer here for others who might wonder about the same thing.

I assume you're referring to the small container seen in my attached photo (the best I could find now). The thin copperwire kept in this, is spare sealing wire for the Pi's safety-propeller. This was easy to breake whe handling the pistol, or especially for pistols mounted on torpedoes kept in tubes aboard.

Attachments

• clip0.jpg
    clip0.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 20