What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.30-06 dummies

Slick

Getting to the blanks and dummy assortment. Found these three oldies. Crimp cases. Necks are split and the projectiles are long gone. Silver/gray non-magnetic. Looks like a 1914 and a couple of 1917 cases. Sorta old.

SAA 30-06 dummy.jpg

The cases pictured above all have fluted cases and are Model 1906 Dummy Cartridge cases which were tinned, have 6 case wall flutes (corrugations) approx. 1 inch long, probably have 3 holes drilled in the case (typically in the lower 1/2 of the cartridge case) and dummy primers (also tinned). The bullets used with the M1906 Dummy was the .30 Caliber M1906 150gr pointed FMJ bullet or during WW1 some the Model 1918 AP bullets were used to assemble dummy rounds. These dummy rounds were typically assembled using second-class cartridge cases or fired cartridge cases.

Source: History of Modern U.S. Military Small Arms Ammunition, Vol. 1, 1880 - 1939 (Revised); Hackley, Woodin & Scraton (1967, 1998)

Brian

Last edited:
I looked through my .30-06 book by Chris Punnett. Brian's above reference seems more precise.
Here's a side shot.

SAA .30-06 dummy .jpg

My mistake....I hadn't noticed the case flutes and assumed these were blanks. Sorry Slick & thanks Brian!