What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indian 4.5 Howiters

The second photo clearly shows the Russian word "гаубица" or howitzer on the breech. I will bet it was made to help the White Russians out during the revolution. It might have been diverted to India because it would have arrived too late.

Working on a translation of the stampings, with missing text I'm now pretty certain its the nomenclature of the weapon, the nearest English equivalent reads '4.5 Inch quick firing howitzer'. I'm sure you are right about the gun being made for White Russians and diverted. Interestingly the guns are located in an Ex Portuguese Union Territory of India. The Portuguese Army were equipped with the 4.5 Howitzer using them on the Western Front officially designated Obus 11,4 cm TR m/1917. They may well may have been some of these or supplied to them post WW1

The second photo clearly shows the Russian word "гаубица" or howitzer on the breech. I will bet it was made to help the White Russians out during the revolution. It might have been diverted to India because it would have arrived too late.

Last edited: