What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turkish headstamps

MiguelMaxim

20170818_173216.jpg20170818_170608.jpg20170818_173002.jpg20170818_173058.jpgIMG-20170815-WA0028.jpgIMG-20170815-WA0029.jpgI saw turkish headstamps in 7.63x25,9x19,7.65x17,7.62 Nagant, 8Lebel,9x21 Steyr,7.65x53,7.92x57,9.5x60,380 and .380 Revolver. Not sure but the AAF below the TC(Turkish Republic) could mean Askeri Fabrikasi Ankara for Kirikkale production and the ASF could mean Askeri Silah Fabrikasi, Weapons Military Production or Fabrication. The FI means Fabrika Izmir or Izmir Fabrications/facilities, maybe but I was told that could mean Istanbul Fabrikasi also. Some of the cartridges have turkish headstamps but maybe austrian machinery. The box is for 7.63x25 Mauser, used also for the russian weapons in 7.62 as the label said: 25 units for the russian pistol in 7.65. Not very accurate description of calibers and weapons, but they are from the 20/30,s. All the labels and boxes I could see have the Mamulati inscription or the Tekel Idareti that means State Monopoly. Many boxes with reloaded and relebeled FN belgian cartidges or austrian made ammo. Very curious .303 from the Gallipoli campaign 1916. The Martiny Peabody and the 9.5 Turkish Mauser are common. Interesting?

The 'very curious' .303" you show is a Indian MkVII ball manufactured at the Kirkee Arsenal in July 1914

The curiosity is that it comes from the material left at the Dardanelles, that means a relic from Gallipoli. Turks spend 2 years recovering any kind of materials left there by the allied. I saw also, but no pics, a british .303 converted by hand in a 7.65x53 Mauser.

Miguel, This information is wonderful! I have collected 9mm Para cartridges and boxes for over 60 years, and have never seen such a wealth of information on Turkish pistol ammunition. In fact, I have only obtained or documented a handful of Turkish 9mm Para rounds that are pre-1945. The photos you have posted are stunning.

It appears that this material is from museum displays. For my reference files, which museum did you visit for there photos?

I would like to contact you and discuss this information further. How best can I contact you? My web site is gigconceptsinc.com and I am Lew on the IAA Forum at forum.cartridgecollectors.org

Again, many thanks for the wealth of information.

Cheers,
Lew

Let me have a small breath. The pieces I got are still in Turkey and I am moving over there. Not easy to move with this stuff now in an emergency state.I will try to answer with some more info, gentlemen.

I have a pocket bandolier of this 8MM(7.92X57) loading on 5 rd. stripper clips. Most likely 1943, but could be a stylized 8 instead of 3. May or may not be pertinent to this thread, but it's Turkish, and there's a headstamp, so. . .
SAA 8MM Turkish.jpg SAA 8MM Turkish hs.jpg

Slick,

This is a typical Turkish headstamped 7.9x57mm round with a cupro-nickel clad steel bullet. The "T" & "C" on either side of the crescent & star (state symbol of Turkey) stand for Turkiye Cumhuriyeti or the REPUBLIC OF TURKEY. The exact meaning of " F S " at the 6:00 position is not known for certain. The caliber designation in the headstamp (7.9) was mandated so that it could easily be differentiated from Turkish 7.65x53mm Mauser ammunition.

Brian

Discovered this in Turkey last week. A bronze piece to mark by heat the wooden boxes/crates of ammo. FS stands for Fishek or cartridge and Talim is practice or drill. 1400 pieces of practice cartridges 7.92mm Turkish Republic, year 1930, produced by SA cartridge factory.Interesting I guess.IMG-20170819-WA0017.jpg