What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3" mortar augmenting cartridges.

cherryturbox

Hi, I want to reproduce the augmenting cartridges for the three inch mortar tail fins. I've seen pics of the war time one which look like a plastic tube which has perhaps yellowed with age. Were they clear plastic originally with an explosive in fill?. Also the thread for the the fuze is it BSP or something similar?, also looking for some stencil sets for marking them up. If anyone has an original augmenting tube they could post some pics of that would be a great help.

thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0906.JPG
    IMG_0906.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 82
  • thumbnail (2).jpg
    thumbnail (2).jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 78
  • thumbnail (1).jpg
    thumbnail (1).jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 74
  • thumbnail (3).jpg
    thumbnail (3).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
heres a couple of nice original ones ive had for years.the diameter is 19mm/,3/4''.thin plastic tube.
filling is nitrocellulose.
label on end
L1931
3IN. MOR.
100 GRS N.C.(Y)
LOT DK 69
FILLED M.E
8/42

N.C.(Y) developed from the sporting gun propellant EC3.quick burning and burns regularly at low pressures.hence used for augmenting charges for 3IN mortars.normally in the form of small rounded grains coloured orange with aurine.if aurine is not available dyeing may be omitted.from textbook of ammunition 1942.

Attachments

• P1030406.JPG
    P1030406.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 78
  • P1030407.JPG
    P1030407.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 60
  • P1030408.JPG
    P1030408.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 51
You also need the springs that wrap around the holes in the tail fin that holds the charge to the tail.

I belive the new rounds fresh from the tube had a cloth bag around the fins that was removed before firing.

The bag was of rubberised cotton with a drawcord. Apart from protection, it contained the propellant from any broken cartridges.

Here are some insights from 1942, 1953/55 and 1963.
There was a comment in Spotters link that the aug cart closing cap was on the inside. Some were and some weren't.
The lengths of the aug cart retaining springs are given.
Dave mentioned that curtain cord wire springs could be used, but only if you made the cartridges of a very strong material (a block of wood?). The real springs are very stretchy but the wire coil is very fine to maintain the balance between keeping the carts in place and squashing them. I would say they are about a quarter of an inch in diameter.
The same principle as the shirt sleeve shortening spring applies. To stop yards of cuff showing, but without cutting off your arm circulation.
In the early pamphlet it mentions that the waterproof bag contained a canister. This was actually a flat plate with a rim about half an inch up or more into which the tail unit sat.
I have included the drill aug cart info so that if using a short range setup, the carts are put in the right place
I obtained the 1955 pamphlet some years ago, having long left the army and found that I had done the the last two amendments.
1  Bomb ML 3" Mortar Aug. Cart. 100grn NC(Y) - 1942 - 1.jpg2  Bomb ML 3" Mortar Aug. Cart. retention - 1942 - 1.jpg3  Bomb ML 3" Mortar Aug. Cart. Drill - 1955 - 1.jpg4  Bomb ML 3" Mortar Aug. Cart. Marks - 1955 - 1.jpg4  Bomb ML 3" Mortar Aug. Cart. Marks 2nd - 1955 - 1.jpg5  Bomb ML 3" Mortar Aug. Cart. combos & positions - 1955 - 1.jpg