What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.50 Dardick tround

Slick

Still digging. And finding. Had a cigar box full of .50s and this was part of that lot. Not sure how I ended up with it. In addition to this one, other varieties were found which will result in a redo of the .50 display board. The tround is oddest of the odd. Thought y'all might like to see one. .50 BMG for scale.

SAA .50 Dardick tround.jpg SAA .50 Dardick tround end.jpg SAA .50 Dardick tround primer.jpg

Still digging. And finding. Had a cigar box full of .50s and this was part of that lot. Not sure how I ended up with it. In addition to this one, other varieties were found which will result in a redo of the .50 display board. The tround is oddest of the odd. Thought y'all might like to see one. .50 BMG for scale.

View attachment 138076 View attachment 138077 View attachment 138078

Rick, they also made them in Clear Plastic with a Black Base, so potential buyers could see what was inside. Those are rare, so keep an eye out. I've only seen one and it was NOT for sale..........................

In the mid 1960s TRW, under license to David Dardic began work on the development of a HIVAP (High Velocity All-Purpose) open chamber gatling like (multi-barrel) gun. Can't find my notes but I believe this .50 round was tested in a HIVAP setup.

Brian

A literal truckload of those, in multiple variations, came from a guy in the Allentown, PA area. I still see him at area shows, with a few on his table. Maybe I should grab some?

I may be wrong - again - but I don't think these .50 Trounds actually had a military application. I seem to remember reading that they are for shattering rock in the drilling industry.
Jim

I think they called it a Terra drill. Used a SALVO round. I have some of the ceramic spikes around here somewhere. The .50 was a mil round, but nothing much evolved from the initial concept.

Last edited:
Wasn't the ceramic one a triplex rather than a traditional stacked salvo? Seems like I picked up one a few shows back and that was the description. Similar in size to the 50 but three separate projectiles - There is another very similar to that which is described as flechette if I remember correctly.