What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British lead coated projectiles

SG500

Premium Member
So anyway....I picked up a 3 inch (by 7 inch long) lead coated shell a few weeks ago, then along came a bigger one (about 4 inches diameter by 8.5 inches long) which set me wondering, does anyone have a list of British lead coated calibers/weights that they can post please. I'm aware of larger ones but were there any less than 3 inch diameter?

Both are solid and INERT.

Thanks.

Dave.

IMG_2936.jpg

Hi Dave I believe both of your projectiles are Armstrong breach loaders they were adopted by the royal navy in 1858 the sizes / calibres are 6 pr/2.5". 9 pr /3" .12pr also 3" 20 pr /3.75". 40 pr /4.75". And the biggest was a 110 pr /7 " there is quite a bit of info about regarding Armstrong and his guns hope this helped
Wg

Sent from my BUSH SPIRA D3 5.5 using Tapatalk

Ok, ill join in with mine, that ill be completely honest and say Ive no clue what it is, even if its british -- its not my area, but it is a great piece of history.

If anyone can tell me, Id be interested. Obviously its empty and inert

Lead Shell.jpg

Ok, ill join in with mine, that ill be completely honest and say Ive no clue what it is, even if its british -- its not my area, but it is a great piece of history.

If anyone can tell me, Id be interested. Obviously its empty and inert

View attachment 138142

NICE bullet Rich thanks for showing it.
What are the measurements on your shell/weight/any stamping?
Dave.

We’ll it weighs about 27.3lbs and is 9.25inches talk with a diameter of about 4.6inches
if we can identify it, I’d be interested to know what fuze would fit it.
Rich