What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IRON No23 MkI Mills baseplug

John Bee

Hello, here is my Mills IRON base plug No 23 Mk1. Determination is difficult, I can only see a ‘L’ (from L td?) and a ‘B’ (or 3 ?) . The rim is with lines, not checkered. I would like to have some info about those IRON BP’s No23 Mk1. Manufacturers, dates (autumn 1916 ?) and if possible a picture.

SAM_6311.jpg SAM_6307.jpg

Thanks in advance. Cheers, Johan

If you can see a large L it could be a Dover Ltd plug. They made cast iron 23 mk I plugs. John

I cleaned up the plug a bit more today. See pointer on the additional pictures for the place of the characters. The first 2 characters following the presumed B are very faint but seem to be curved (& or S ??)
SAM_6335.jpg SAM_6339.jpg
Johan

Just got back home after a few days away.

I have got steel no 23 Mk 1 base plugs by

James Cycle Co
Dover Limited /16
Mills Munitions Co 8/16
ESH & S 11/16
Elmbank Glasgow 12/16

and 4 others where you can only see 23 Mk I or Ltd or dates 8/16 11/16

John

Here's some photos of the Dover Ltd, Mills Munitions and ES&H plugs

23MkI_ESandH.JPG23MkI_DoverLtd.JPG23MKI_MMC.JPG

MillsBomber's website has more.

John

John, thank you for the info and nice pictures. About the website ‘millsgrenades’: I’m already using it as a reference. But in this case, there is sometimes doubt of what material the plug is made. Some plugs give a red shine on the picture (brass cleaned with acid, shiny steel with red object nearby or remains of copper wash?) So, by starting this thread I want to be sure. Johan

Last edited: