What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British WW2 4.7in Navy case

Vasco Da Gama

Finally found an uncut British Navy 4.7in case from WW2, one of those that has always eluded me. The case is marked for the Mk9, 9**, 12 and 12* guns, not sure about the primer it may have been added later. These separate loading weapons were the main armament of RN destroyers through WW2, the length is 776mm, mouth 125mm and the rim is 155mm. Pictured alongside a wartime 4.5in Mk4 case for size comparison, as you will note the mouths clearly show how the closing cup was fixed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 65
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 54
I have 2 cases 4,7inch nut mine are both different at the mouth. And I am sure there was a lid one these as well. Friend of mine has one with lid.
image.jpeg

Could you post a picture of the base? My case is a Mk3 case, I was wondering if yours is earlier? The design of closing the mouth may have changed over the life of the weapon.

4.7 mm case Mk 3

Found my first 4.7 mm case two weeks ago. Also the first 4.7 inch case I have seen that has not been cut down. The 4.7 inch gun saw limited use in the South African Navy. I think only two ships were equipped with these guns.

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

This is also a Mk III case. My other case is 1937 but the mouth is the same as this one but no Mk on headstamp.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks Michel, interesting that all the photos show Mk3 cases. My next thought is that we are seeing the difference between an unfired case and fired cases. In the firing process the strong crimp below the mouth could be flattened/ smoothed out in the chamber. I have numerous Royal Navy cases which are the same as yours from 4in to 5.25in but I have also seen 5.25in cases with the deep crimp groove. Glad to be educated.

Vasco Da Gama there is no education from my side to be had, but I do know for certain that there was no crimp/not fired on my 1937 case (mark II shell case earlier mistake) because these where found with the lid (closing cup) still on them and primer protector still placed.
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited: