What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

.577 ELEY LONDON pistol case?

Slick

First impression was the base of a shotshell. Then saw the .577, so guessed it was the base of one of the old foil rounds, but it looks too long. Now guessing it might be a pistol cartridge. Maybe a .577 Tranter? Howdah?

SAA .577 Eley.jpg SAA .577 Eley hs.jpg

I have a coiled brass .577 Snider round, also a .577 paper cased shot round in my collection, and as you say, the brass is shorter than the example that you have. From my reference books, the Tranter pistol case was .800" long and the Howdah pistol case was 34.14mm long, so, going from the photograph, you have a .577 Tranter pistol case.

Narrowing it all down, both the Tranter designed Webley No. 1 and a number of so called Howdah pistols were chamber for the .577. Huge guns for a huge cartridge.

when you have an upset tiger joining you on the back of the elephant a huge gun would be very useful.

Most 577 Howdah Pistols that I have seen have been chambered for 577 Snider.

The Snider case is 2" long and drives a 480 grain projectile at 1300fps in the rifles

The 577 revolver case is less than half the length and has a smaller projectile of about 400 grains at about 750fps.

Quite a lot more energy in the Snider

Most 577 Howdah Pistols that I have seen have been chambered for 577 Snider.

The Snider case is 2" long and drives a 480 grain projectile at 1300fps in the rifles

The 577 revolver case is less than half the length and has a smaller projectile of about 400 grains at about 750fps.

Quite a lot more energy in the Snider

A quote from a Wiki entry supports glevums comment:
". . .the term "howdah pistol" is often applied to a number of English multi-barrelled handguns such as the Lancaster pistol (available in a variety of calibres from .380" to .577"),[SUP][4][/SUP] and various .577 calibre revolvers produced in England and Europe for a brief time in the mid-late 19th century."

My example is definitely the revlover round.