What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 pdr tank/anti-tank APCBC?

Tony Williams

I can't recall ever having seen a 2 pdr APCBC round - not even a photo of one. Just one drawing in the Ammo Info Manual Number 9.

Is this because it saw very little use, or because the caps tend to come off, or what?

Is anyone able to post a photo (especially sectioned)?

Correction - I have found a photo of one, on this forum.

I'd still like to know why they are so rare, though. According to some stats I have, around 1.7 million APCBC were made in 1943-44. That compares with around 250,000 Littlejohn shot and 800,000 HE.

Some further digging produced this:

Total 2 pdr No 2 production (all types) just under 23 million, of which:
APHE 2.5% (all pre-WW2); AP 85% (1938-43); APCBC 7.6% (1943-44); APSV 1.3% (1943-45); and HE 3.6% (1942-44.

A few years ago I was in trying to settle a deal for these 3 little babies and one bigger baby but unfortunately I lost touch and never managed to close the deal for the capped projectile.

PC

Attachments

• L-R;AP 2PR VIT LOT 44-42; AP 2PR VT RCC 217;AP CBC 2 PR 9B I JMB H 11-42.jpg
    L-R;AP 2PR VIT LOT 44-42; AP 2PR VT RCC 217;AP CBC 2 PR 9B I JMB H 11-42.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 115
What do the HE types look like , I never see them over here , never the capped type and seldom the regular shot or the flat practice.

Is the 2pr AT gun HE the same projectile as the 2pr AA HV projectile. If I saw one loose is there
any difference ?

Is the 2pr AT gun HE the same projectile as the 2pr AA HV projectile. If I saw one loose is there
any difference ?

That's a very good question. I have data from two different sources on different marks of HE.

http://www.wwiiequipment.com/index....er-anti-tank-gun&catid=40:anti-tank&Itemid=58 contains some fascinating information about the gun and its ammo that I've not come across elsewhere. It includes data on the HE Mk 1T: projectile weight 1.86 lbs, filler weight 0.14 lbs.

Then there is the widely-distributed Ammunition Information Manual No.9 (Ordnance QF 2-pr Gun Ammunition), which is undated but I presume to be late-war, which provides data only on the HE/T Mk 2: weight 2.375 lbs, filler weight also 0.14 lbs.

Why there should be such a large difference in projectile weight, but no difference in filler weight, I do not understand.

I have a projectile which was sold to me as 2pdr No.2 HE which appears to be identical to the 2 pdr No.1 Pom-pom HV proj, with the same flat-nosed fuze and the same weight (not sure of the filled weight, but it ought to be 1.675 lbs)

Then again: post No. 19 in this thread: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...nti-aircraft-rounds/page2?highlight=2pdr+tank shows two very different HE rounds: the HE-T Mk IIT (which looks like mine) and the HE-T Mk 7, which looks like a Bofors shell.

Does anyone have a complete listing of the different HE rounds which saw service?