What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

4.5 inch Mk VI naval case.

Michel

Bought this one because it did not seem a common case that was already in my collection. But the headstamp was not showing so I took a gamble and bought it. I am guessing that the case has been fished out of the water, the only thing showing was the date 1940 and a faint N. I did a little cleaning and the headstamp is showing a bit better. Its a Navy 4,5 inch Mk VI case, on NavalWeapons.com (very nice site) the lenght was described as 114x664R but this one is 114x698R and I think this is made for the Mk I / MkIII / Mk IV guns. The case does not follow the gun marks, but I think its for these guns. Maybe someone can clearify this.
Huls1.jpeg Huls2.jpeg Huls3.jpeg

The 4.5 inch MK VI case should be 114x695R166 so your case seems to be of original length.

Afternoon Michel, my understanding is you have a case from the WW2 version of the 4.5in British gun. The gun was initially designed for the Royal Navy as a fixed round in the Mk1 and 3 versions. The Mk2 was a land based version used as a heavy anti-aircraft gun, particularly around ports, thus simplifying ammunition supply. You do find cases without the N stamp, indicating these were for land use. The Mk4 gun was purely for Naval use and used separate loading ammunition. There is a picture of a case from this version in my post for the 4.7in gun in this section. So I would offer your case is for the Mk1, 2 or 3 versions of the gun.