What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FRENCH 75mm GAS SHELLS

starshell

Premium Member
Hi chaps,

Probably a silly question, but as I've never seen a WW1 French gas shell in the flesh, and little info elsewhere, its got me thinking was one ever produced?
Knowing the British and Germans had a go at chemical ordnance, it stands to reason the French would have piled in too, but I've never seen any documentation, tech illustrations, colour schemes, etc. I'm guessing it would have been a 'converted' 75 HE, but again, purely a guess....
I'd appreciate any info from any members on this subject.

Thanks in advance!
D

Last edited:
Two pages from a German WW2 handbook on captured French ammo, among which were 75 mm Gas shells. The shells were painted green with white and orange bands. Most of the shells are dated WW1. The list is giving the types of gas in French.
According to the handbook D 435/5 from 20.8.1944 the German army kept one of the 75 mm gas shells in their inventory, filled with Gas nr. 5, Collongite.

Attachments

• 75 mm gasgranaten Frans 2.JPG
    75 mm gasgranaten Frans 2.JPG
    199.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 75 mm gasgranaten Frans.jpg
    75 mm gasgranaten Frans.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 34
  • File0002.JPG
    File0002.JPG
    227.5 KB · Views: 29
  • File0001.jpg
    File0001.jpg
    173 KB · Views: 42
It depends which story and which reference one reads......, but you’re probably correct. :tinysmile_grin_t:

Some references from the time stated that Germany accused France of initiating by the use of some lachrymatory grenades that were in police stocks. Similar accusations in WWII with the Polish at Jaslo and the accusations of mustard use.