What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12-inch B.L. projectiles

sgdbdr

Hi,

Image7.jpg

"Handbook for the 12 inch B.L. 47 ton Gun" (1891) is the only book I have about this caliber. Unfortunately, plates VIII, IX, X about projectiles are missing.

Projectiles listed in the book are :
12-inch B.L. Common Cast Iron Mark II
12-inch B.L. Common Cast Steel Mark V
12-inch B.L. Shrapnel Cast Iron Mark II
12-inch B.L. Shrapnel Forged Steel Mark III
12-inch B.L. Shot Palliser Mark I
12-inch B.L. Shot Palliser Mark II
12-inch B.L. Shot Armour Piercing Forged Steel Mark I

Does someone has the complete book and could show those plates, or other digitized sources ?

I found a drawing of a 12-inch shrapnel in the "Ammunition pocket book" from 1926, but there is no indication of the measurements and the mark.

Thanks by advance

S.

Hello,
you can find lot of informations in all free Treatise on Ammunitions (1915, 1905, etc)

12IN COMMON TOA1905.jpg12IN COMMON POINTED.jpg12IN LYDDITE.jpg12IN SHRAP.jpg

12in0.jpg12in 1.jpg12in 2.jpg12in 3.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks MINENAZ16.
I maybe wrong but those drawings are not B.L. shells, but to be used in the 12-in R.M.L. Gun of 35 tons Mark I
Not many 12 inch drawings in the treatises of ammunition except the 12 inch B.L. Commpon Pointed with Cap Heavy Mark VII A and the 12 inch Shrapnel Heavy Mark II A in the 1915 edition.

Regards,

S.

sgdbdr,

Herewith the three missing plates from the 1891 Handbook on the 12-inch BL 47 Ton with apologies for the quality:

1891-Plate-VIII---006acomp.jpg1891-Plate-IX---002bcomp.jpg1891-Plate-X---004comp.jpg