What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ODD FRENCH 75mm??

starshell

Premium Member
IMG_0421.jpgIMG_0422.jpgIMG_0423.jpgIMG_0424.jpg
Hi all,
Could any members here please ID this (I believe) French 75mm projectile. I say 'believe' on account of the odd fuse socket/adaptor, something I've never seen before.
I took a chance on this one, but I'm stumped by the fuze socket arrangement. Seller had it listed as a chemical round but I think otherwise. As Minenaz16 recently pointed out, chemical ordnance was painted Green. It seems to me to be a shrap round, looking inside the shell you can clearly see the ogive threads, but then saying that, shrapnel type rounds seem to have been used for gas too. (My knowledge on French ordnance is poor as you can see....)
Sadly, the threads for the fuse are completely knackered. The turned recesses near the socket are just that, the top sections don't unscrew.
The originality of the paint I'm not too sure about...
Any help would be much appreciated (and apologies for the poor drawing!).
Thanks in advance!
D

Hello,

My opinion, not an adapter, but a homemade machined and shortcut head of common shrapnel head. Repainted shell.

Regards

75MM SHRAP FRENCH.jpg

head.jpg

head.jpg

Last edited:
Minenaz16,
Thanks as ever for the info. A strange set up indeed. Can't imagine why anyone would go to the effort of machining such an odd piece.
Still, I have an answer and it makes perfect sense.
I'll remove the ogive and search for a nice clean (untampered) one to replace it....
Thanks again!
D

Last edited: