What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cast iron fuse ??

Jb1391

Any expert like to tell me what this cast iron fuse was for / was from ?? (assuming my upload of the picture works)

Would it have been bare metal, or painted ?

If the picture has gone awol, the 'fuse' is 75.1mm diameter at widest point, and 91.8mm from top to bottom !

Thanks in advance for any info. James n b

Attachments

• DSCF3801.jpg
    DSCF3801.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 57
I think i's not a fuze, but the tip of a road milling machine to remove the tar layer from a road. We've seen them before on this forum.
Regards, DJH

I agree with DJH, confused for AP cores, fuzes, projectiles etc. They are used on Road Milling machines, and attached to a spinning drum and used like a pick. Occasionally they break off and are found on road sides.

I agree with DJH, confused for AP cores, fuzes, projectiles etc. They are used on Road Milling machines, and attached to a spinning drum and used like a pick. Occasionally they break off and are found on road sides.

Thank you both for that. That makes it quite a mystery, because it came off a military training area quite a way from the nearest track, and at least a mile from the nearest Tarmac. Perhaps deposited by someone with a sense of humour then ?