What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

76mm Ap?

Daniel-A

Hello
Ive done some researche. And my guess is, it is an American m79 ap-t, but im still not completly sure, and i have some questions.
After the war my country used American Shermans with 76mm guns AND British m10 Achilles. It looks like an American ap-t but as you can see it is stamped "17" on the buttom of the projectile, which made me think of the 17 pounder. What do you say?

Further more if i were to restore it:
1. what shell casing should i look for.
2.how should it be painted.
3. what is the best way to paint it? Can i use spraycans?

Thank you very much - Daniel

Attachments

• IMG_3603.jpg
    IMG_3603.jpg
    282.8 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3604.jpg
    IMG_3604.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 36
I am confident that is not a US 3 inch/76mm M79 AP round. The driving band is just not right for that. The band(s) also do not match what I have for a 17 pdr shot in my collection. I am going to guess it is a 17 pdr shot (APCBC) with its cap(s) knocked off due to firing and impact. I look forward to the rulings of our British members.

Very interesting, I have seen 3 of these in the last 2 months, all fired and havent been able to ID them. Thanks Hazord!