What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

30mm loading/dummy round for the Apache Helicopter

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured is what I think is a loading/dummy round, 30x113B, for the M230 chain gun fitted to the Apache attack helicopter. The case is alloy but with a brass coating/lacquer. The only marking is in paint on the projectile, GLN89H002001, which is a mystery to me! Potentially a date of manufacture of 2001? It looks like it has been well used before finding its way to my door. Posted as I have not come across an ADEN/DEFA style dummy round with an alloy case before.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 53
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 38
I think is the Batch Key Indicator (BKI) GLN89H002001, it's American and can be decoded

GLN is the manufacturer
89 is the year of manufacture
H is code for the month of manufacture, H is the 8th letter so August
002001 is the batch number, American BKIs lead with missing zeroes

The aluminum case for your drill round is anodized brass/bronze color, because drill munitions are color coded bronze in the U.S.

It is a M848 drill/dummy round, the UK 'buy in' 30x115B ammunition from the states,three types are used in the UK.
HEDP(High Explosive Dual Purpose) M789 with a green anodized aluminium case.
LWTP(Light Weight Target Practice) M788 also with a green anodized aluminium case.
Drill M848 with a bronze anodized aluminium case.

Tony

It may be worth mentioning that not all ammo for the Apache's M230 has aluminium alloy cases - those are generally ATK production, I think. General Dynamics makes the ammo using lightweight steel cases.