What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Cannon Rounds

oktato

Premium Member
Hi,

Can anyone help with more information on these two 20mm cannon rounds?

The case length on the drill round is approx. 142mm but I guess this is designed to include the rifling band. The projectile is engraved: "20K DM20 LOS DN-3-6"

The rim is rebated with a diameter of approx. 25mm.

I couldn't see this round on Anthony Williams' Guide to collecting 20mm cannon ammunition. Am I right in thinking it is 20x139mm? And can I ask what cannon it is designed for?

The case length on the round with the crimped projectile is 139mm. The head stamp is "20x139 DM1323A1 LOS NWM 97K4257"

The person I bought this from thought it was his best round. Am I right in thinking it is a canister round? And does anyone have a diagram of this round.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Gary

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The first one is a 20x139 drill the second is a 20x139 blank from the netherlands hope this helps
Regards
Tomsk

Hi Tomsk,

Thanks for your comments.

I'm a bit surprised that the drill round has a rebated rim whereas the usual 20x139 is rimless, but not rebated. Is it normal for 20x139mm drill rounds to have a rebated rim?

I'm also surprised that the blank round has a separate projectile. I know that break-up rounds have a plastic projectile which is designed to break up after leaving the barrel but, in this case, the metal projectile would be dangerous - that's why I thought it might be a canister round.

Any diagrams would be a great help.

Cheers,

Gary

The blank cartridge is used with a special blank cartridge device, in which the bullet is pushed into the case as it is fed in.
Left before firing, right after firing.

Attachments

• Zuschneiden_6.jpg
    Zuschneiden_6.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 39
I also have two DM20 dummies, one rimless and one with rebated rim.
But I don't have an explanation for that yet.

Attachments

• Unbenannt-1.jpg
    Unbenannt-1.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 12