Welcome to the Inert Ordnance Collectors.

Thread: 6" or 155mm

Premium Member
    Images
    Thanks

6" or 155mm

Had to go antique shopping with family and friends. Inside the front door of one shop was the following door stop:

Shell 6inch.jpg

The holes in the windshield are symmetrical and finely cut, so it wasn't a bubba "demil" job. Not sure why one would be cut/drilled in that manner. I did not have a tape measure. A 6" or 155mm AP. The only legible stampings - 137. The paint was thick. Very heavy(100lb. +/-). Missing drive band. I plan to go back and get more precise dimensions if warranted. It's sticker price is $149. I do not collect this size stuff.
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick For This Useful Post:

bdgreen (12th November 2017)

Premium Member
    Thanks
    It is a U.S. Navy 6 inch AP. The scrappers removed the rotating band which was stamped with the ID info. There would have been a brass cap soldered over the top set of holes, and brass "Freeze Plugs" expanded into the lower set of holes. The space above the piercing cap, under the windscreen would have been filled with a colored dye. When multiple ships would have target practice, each ship would have a different color dye in their projectiles. When the projo hits the water, the brass nose cap is punctured pushing water into the dye compartment and forcing the colored water out of the holes that were plugged below. Thus, each ship's impacts could be differentiated from the other ships firing by the dye spots in the water.

As an added note, the 155mm AP projos used in WWII, were actually U.S. Navy AP projectiles (152mm).
    ___HAZ/
    _____/ORD Hazardous Ordnance Recognition
    ________Saving Lives Through Education

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HAZORD For This Useful Post:

bdgreen (12th November 2017), doppz92 (12th November 2017), highlandotter (12th November 2017), Slick (12th November 2017)

Ordnance Approved
    Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 635 Posts
    Any Live or Dug ordnance shown by me has been disposed of by EOD personnel .

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MINENAZ16 For This Useful Post:

bdgreen (12th November 2017), doppz92 (12th November 2017), Slick (12th November 2017)