What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WW2 KwK 38 L24 APHE

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured are two rounds for the German 75mm KwK38 L24 tank and Stug gun which have been in my collection for some years. The first is an early round with a brass case and is clearly fitted with a penetrating and ballistic caps. The second is a later steel case, brass washed. Sadly this case and projectile have seen better days, but this round in my experience is not that common. I have always assumed that the projectile has lost its caps along the way but I just wondered was there ever a pure shot version, without caps for this gun? The uncapped projectile is 220mm long, very glad to have your views.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 58
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 56
The K. Gr. rot Pz armor piercing projectile was first used with the WWI vintage FK 16na guns converted from 77mm to 75mm in the 1930's. It was also used with the FK 18 75mm field gun. I have seen no German documents for any other kind of 75mm AP projectile until the Pzgr 39 was adopted for the Pak 40 antitank and KwK 40 tank guns in 1940.

Last edited:
Many thanks, I suspected the uncapped projectile was sadly just a result of a hard paper round. I also offer my apologies for using the wrong designator, it should be KwK 37. Could the moderator correct the title for the search facility?