What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

american 75mm high explosive with mk1 pd

frijoles108

Hi everyone!
Just got this new shell, a american 75mm high explosive with the early mk1 pd fuze and I'm trying to identify its producer or maker. For some reason some of the markings are really familiar but I can't put my finger on it.
e21a6375a18c30d5b4e48cd77e54f7e6.jpg
3ea15db37f3772c02c3db2913c78dc7b.jpg
18de45b259346e777766bba59e15f21c.jpg
dd914ede487989e643a3ca910fb6436d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I believe you have 76.2mm Russian projo w/fuze. They were made in the U.S. to give to Russia in WWI. I have one just like it. A U.S. projo would have a brass plate crimped on the base to prevent detonation by propellant gasses.

I'm guessing your reply will most likely be "beans!".

Last edited:
I believe you have 76.2mm Russian projo w/fuze. They were made in the U.S. to give to Russia in WWI. I have one just like it. A U.S. projo would have a brass plate crimped on the base to prevent detonation by propellant gasses.

Wow! Really?! So usa projectiles never had a bottom like that?!

Found this nice fuze drawing on Passion-Compassion 1914-1918

Fuze Russian.jpg

Seems similar to yours.

Do you have a photo of your projectile for comparison

Hello,

As Hazord said, US made shells for Europe during WW1.
So your fuze is same as US mark1 but it's a russian fuze 3GT - 3ГТ (maybe made in USA)
Look at markings on top of your fuze.
The shell looks like a 3in for export. On US factory diagrams, russian 3in have a diameter of 2.95in, so could match.
(typical shape and base groove)
I can't see if your shell has a head screwed, should have 2 notches on top (I assume as there is a double serial number on head). Russian 3in I know were made with head screwed.
French also made 3in with same shape but on piece body for export.

US MARK I
pdf mark 1 US.jpg

RUSSIAN 3GT (2nd US machinery)

3GT.jpgRUSSIAN FUZE MADE BY US.jpg

3GT RUSSIAN.jpg

Russian 3in (2 pieces) US made

3in russian made by usa.jpg

3in.jpg

Regards

Last edited:
Hello,

As Hazord said, US made shells for Europe during WW1.
So your fuze is same as US mark1 but it's a russian fuze 3GT - 3ГТ (maybe made in USA)
Look at markings on top of your fuze.
The shell looks like a 3in for export. On US factory diagrams, russian 3in have a diameter of 2.95in, so could match.
(typical shape and base groove)
I can't see if your shell has a head screwed, should have 2 notches on top (I assume as there is a double serial number on head). Russian 3in I know were made with head screwed.
French also made 3in with same shape but on piece body for export.

US MARK I
View attachment 139013

RUSSIAN 3GT (2nd US machinery)

View attachment 139014View attachment 139017

View attachment 139016

Russian 3in (2 pieces) US made

View attachment 139018

View attachment 139019

Regards
Dear sir, and hazord,
It appears upon reexamination of the shell, you both are a hundred percent correct. I found the russian writing on the fuze exactly as described and remeasired the diameter of shell in inches with my dia caliper and it said nearly 2.95 inches.
1babcacdc2048f4e7fd6475f3f6915eb.jpg
12ae5fa0b91478b7d10315d5364d8ba7.jpg