What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panther Pair

peregrinvs

Picked up these two dug 7,5cm KwK 42 cases at the Chatham fair last Sunday. One for me and one for a friend who also has a 7,5cm PzGr.39/42 projectile in need of a home. Not very pretty, but solid enough and pending an upgrade, etc.

IMG_5923.JPGIMG_5920.JPGIMG_5921.jpgIMG_5922.JPG

The one on the left is mine and I started acid cleaning the neck as I was initially going to clean the interior with electrolysis and needed some clean metal. However I've since decided to clean all the exterior with Citric acid first and then go on to the electrolysis.

Nice cases, look like they will clean up well!

What do cases in this condition go for over in the UK?
Fingers crossed they’ll be OK. I’m confident they are mostly metal and not rust.

They were £75 each. I’m not sure if that’s a good, bad or indifferent price in the U.K. due to a lack of comparisons. I imagine they’d be cheaper in mainland Europe.

Making gentle progress.
IMG_5924.JPGIMG_5925.JPG
I've photographed the 'prettier' side - presumably the one facing downwards during it's 70 year sojourn in the ground. The patches of copper are remnants of the brass plating.

The corrosion inside is 'lumpier' - a bit like marine concretion. Perhaps some sort of chemical reaction with the remnants of the propellant?