What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French unknown cartridge

flak18

Anybody help me to identify this cartridge please. Case is 155mm and the headstamp is MORTIER TH...R 1.5.31. Definitely French and made in 1931. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    293.6 KB · Views: 61
Hello to you
Case length is 155 mm and across the head it's 48 mm. I have previously posted this item in the MORTARS section on BOCN with a photo of the case from the side as well as the headstamp, but I have to apologise, I am not very competent with computers so the photos are a very mixed bunch. What I find interesting is that the case is necked in 2 places, suggesting someone has played around with it, but I think it is original. Thanks for your help.

Hello,
Your case has a headstamp of the French Navy Fonderie de Ruelle, 1er lot de la commande de mai 1931 and no mention of the metall supplier. My opinion, but not an evidence, is that the stamping" MORTIER TH" stands for " MORTIER THORNYCROFT " so it is perhaps a cartridge for an Anti-Submarine launcher.
Regards,
Dandebur.

Bonjour Dandebur
Merci bien. I think that is exactly what this is. I found the cartridge case in Lisieux at a brocante and have been very puzzled by it. I would never have figured it out. Thank you so much for your help and also to Tony for your help on my behalf.
Regards
Matt