What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

60 mm m49a2

Your thoughts on this mortar, the previous owner stated he thought it was WW2 and sold it to me as such. Firstly, the aluminum fuze has no markings, however it appears a black ink stamp has been gone long ago. Secondly, the body is pristine ( it came in a black fibre tube). Body ink stamped yellow, 60 M TNT Shell M49A2, AMM. LOT WC-6-36. Engraved, 1942 A5 60 MM, H A M. Lastly, the fin. Marked- CIC- 1-15-73 60 MM M2. Am I correct thinking the fin is 1973 manufacture? Lastly, the tube. End caps marked- Container 60mm M50. 60 mm Mortar,M1. &M2. Small white ink mark- Lot 7-7993 150 WC and a large white number "A". Thoughts and info appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    177.2 KB · Views: 55
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.9 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    251.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
The markings look a little fishy - it may be the lighting, but both the body paint and the markings are off-tone, and do not have the "patina" that is normally present and difficult to fake. Much about the stamped markings and the paint make me think it could be a parts piece, put together to sell to folks like yourself. Depending on how much they want, I'd suggest passing and looking for an original one. They are around.

At least they went to the effort of making and using a stamp to do the markings. It is also very unusual to have the paint match on the body and tail.

Thanks for the replies. I have used the search feature and can find no examples of original ink markings on a period M49 mortar here, or the Internet. Can any one post one from their collection? I am at least pleased in having an inked instead of commonly redone stenciled example.

Close inspection shows definite inking,and was heavily applied in some spots resulting in fat letters. Re-painted and re- inked? Maybe, but I checked the interior, and the inside paint matches ( where the TNT would be) the exterior color. If a re-paint, someone did very well in getting the body interior painted. I have read " on the Internet" that thousands of WW2 m49 surplus bodies were finally used up during Vietnam, which could explain the tail fin "73 " date? Some one familiar with Lot codes can probably also add some info. The inked lot number appears to be close to the fibre tube code, but who knows?

Thanks for taking the time in commenting, Happy Thanksgiving.....

At least they went to the effort of making and using a stamp to do the markings. It is also very unusual to have the paint match on the body and tail.

The paint is not " matched". The tail is a slight but noticeable difference. A few more pics under sunlight. The previous owner is adamant that this piece has sat in the fibre tube untouched for at least 20 years, and of course offered a full refund. I told him I am quite satisfied as it will probably sit the tube for another 20 years.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    191.2 KB · Views: 22
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
According to this site: http://www.90thidpg.us/Equipment/Projects/M43Repaint/index.html

They post a pic of a purported original example.
View attachment 139109

Real paint or not, a fine example for your collection and displays.

Thanks Slick. That picture reinforces my thought that my example is a Vietnam era round that used a surplus 1942 dated body, if so, that would solve the " re" ink marking, tail fin number date and Lot numbers ( on tube and body) questions.