What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a No. 80 Fuze?

oktato

Premium Member
Hi,

Honestly, I've tried to work this out for myself, but can anyone positively identify this sectioned fuze?

It measures 2" across the threaded section and has "R.L." stamped on the base. The time markings go up to 22.

I thought it was a British No. 80, but I'm just concerned that another Internet site seemed confident that the nose cap of the No. 80 was always made of brass, never steel.

Any help appreciated!

Thanks,

Gary

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Is the nose not aluminium, rather than steel? In which case it is fine for a No.80 MkIV - as it is marked, albeit barely visible, on the base plug.

Don't believe what you read on other websites... :)

Tom.

Hi Tom,

Brilliant!

Thanks for the quick information.

BOCN definitely rules!

Gary

Nice fuze Gary. The 000 'lot number' would suggest to me that the fuze was made at Woolwich as a half section model (rather than starting its life as a whole fuze and sectioned by a unit etc.)

In 1905 Woolwich made up boxes:

"Box, sections of fuzes, No 5 (Mark I) /L/ QF 13 & 18 Pr; Horse and Field Artillery" containing two half sectioned No 80 Mark I fuzes, one fuze being sectioned 'before firing' and the other 'after firing'.
I don't know if Woolwich continued to made these instructional sets with the changes in Marks of the No 80 fuze but it would be interesting to find out.

Last edited:
Hi Bonnex,

Sorry, I missed this post!

Very interesting detail.

I hope you don't mind, but I've added your remarks to the listing on eBay (which ends tomorrow).

For anyone that's interested, the eBay listing is: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122830456790

Thanks again for the information.

Gary