What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help needed in ID of this Projectiles

kradman

Help needed in ID of this Projectiles , its 5 1/2 cm across the base and i can't see any markings on it , Thank you for any help

Attachments

• SAM_7312.jpg
    SAM_7312.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 95
  • SAM_7311.jpg
    SAM_7311.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 78
  • SAM_7310.jpg
    SAM_7310.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 74
Might be a 3 pounder shell of some sorts. The 3 banded drive band makes me think hotchkiss maybe

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

My best guess is Russian 3 pdr Hotchkiss. I have never seen one, but it looks like a big 1 pdr Russian, of which I have a few. I have been told they exist.

5.5 cm means it's likely a 6pr. Lack of markings is not like normal Russian made types that have lots of markings. We would have to see a known Russian 57mm to be sure regarding the number of ribs on the band on this size. I'm sure we have seen them, but I can't remember.
This is a Solid shot though, which is very Russian. If it is an early Russian 6pr (at time of adoption) it might have been made by Hotchkiss for Russia which might account for no markings and the hollowed out base to reduce weight, a Hotchkiss practice. In theory this should weight the same as a loaded fuzed explosive round. Later Russian made solid shot are likely just a bit shorter instead.