What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aircraft data plate fix

Slick

Oldest son had this airplane data plate sent to me for cleaning and restoration.
Yea. People collect this sort of thing. Can you believe that?!?!?
He assumed it was embossed. It has been silkscreened with the exception of a few numbers. Anyway, I have never tried to "fix" something like this. Am guessing will have to go with custom decals unless someone here knows a secret about the process that will help in making this look semi-professional by highlighting what remains of the print.
Thanks.
Lockheed data plate.jpg

Am guessing the A/C was scrapped. All that's left is this data plate. Found this pic of it back in its glory days. '80s era.
Lockheed L-1011.jpg

Last edited:
Slick, I may be mistaken, but, the data plate has the writing chemically etched. Drag your finger tip or needle across a spot that has had the paint removed, you will feel a few thousandth's of an inch depression. Not an easy job to " refill" the black paint, but doable. I would use a black indelible Sharpie fine point to " fill", or pin tip dipped into ink, then a high quality eraser to rub off the ink from the high spots. I did that with these brass plates I made. Alcohol easily removes Sharpie ink on metal, so nothing to lose....and I remember that 1011.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    206.7 KB · Views: 30

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    147.6 KB · Views: 11
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: