What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The puzzling case of the copper bottomed 3 inch

frijoles108

Hello!! (Again)
I have this odd 3 inch also in my collection and i have a few theories I have gathered on why it is copper ringed on the bottom. It also has this odd incision on the side that I do not understand. I have found theories that the copper is there cause it would seal the bottom onto the shell and prevent gasses from exploding the shell in the barrel. What do you guys think is reasoning behind the incision in the side and the copper bottom?
8440fc03b99e8d09b7a85ddbd2070339.jpg
a873709b67101f03ecf0a1c6c4eeade9.jpg
334f933ee99526ab36102b6fc5284aac.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

That is curious, copper plates were normally used to seal the base, but the plate itself was normally secured by lead, not by a copper strip like yours. This was done on HE projectiles, not shrapnel, but you do see shrapnel this way occasionally. The explanation I was given by the late Jim OBrien, who was a longtime student and my mentor on the subject was that they were HE projectiles bodies that failed quality control and were sent back through to be re-purposed as shrapnel. Makes sense to me, but the few I've seen were the standard copper plate and lead seal.

That is curious, copper plates were normally used to seal the base, but the plate itself was normally secured by lead, not by a copper strip like yours. This was done on HE projectiles, not shrapnel, but you do see shrapnel this way occasionally. The explanation I was given by the late Jim OBrien, who was a longtime student and my mentor on the subject was that they were HE projectiles bodies that failed quality control and were sent back through to be re-purposed as shrapnel. Makes sense to me, but the few I've seen were the standard copper plate and lead seal.
So this is a uncommon variant potentially?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

It looks like it might have been used as a money box at some time. A picture taken at 45 degrees to the copper ring might show why the ring is in situ.

D

Is this the remains of a Semple tracer adapter that was set into the base? I.D. 2.25", O.D. 2.54"

TimG

have you ever heard anything about the incision in the side?

I agree it was a coin bank in the past. Presuming the top unscrews to let you get at your life savings then why the copper ring.
Well maybe so it won't scratch anything or there was a subbase piece that is now missing attached somehow. If the top is fixed,
then maybe the base will come out, though this hardly seems the best system.
It is not a tracer fitting.

Hello

what is the exact name of this American shell? 3 inch or 75mm in the USA.
thank you

Is this the remains of a Semple tracer adapter that was set into the base? I.D. 2.25", O.D. 2.54"

TimG

Didn't think of that, I've got a couple I'll try and check later.

Hello

what is the exact name of this American shell? 3 inch or 75mm in the USA.
thank you

The US had both, the projectiles are nearly identical but for different guns. According to Jim - and the only definitive info I've found in the publications - the difference is in the height of the rotating band from the base of the projectile. I cannot tell you the height from memory, but the low band is the 3-inch, the high band the 75mm. Either round may or may not have crimping grooves for the cartridge case. From the photos this appears to be a 3-inch.