What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 37X94 Drill Round ??

Hi Guy's, stuck again. I aquired this German 37mm round last weekend along with a British VSM round. The German round appears to have the projectile permanently fixed in the case and has a zinc dummy fuse and primer, could this be some sort of training or drill round. Any help would be much appreciated.
20171203_153912.jpg20171203_155826.jpg

I think you have shipping plugs in each end, though practice firing rounds are used with the zinc plug. I don't see
any crimps to hold the projectile so it's just stuck ? What is the date of the case and is there any marks on the projectile.
The German drill round is an all brass affair. I have a case with the plug and I don't think it was ever loaded. If it was meant to be used in a Maxim
it would have to be crimped. I suspect someone put the projectile into the case and it is a very tight fit.

Hi Gspragge, thank you for your reply. The case is dated 1911, I think the projectile may be soldered into the case although I am not 100% sure, when I look inside the case through the primer hole there looks to be small amounts of solder around the base of the projectile on the case walls. As far as I can see there are no markings on the projectile. stamped near the date on the base is also 119A.

Last edited:
Drill rounds usually have a normal but inerted primer with removed cap or a dummy primer with a hole as a space for the firing pin. Because this one has no space for a firing pin I think it could have been made for school rooms or as a presentation piece.