What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identification Please of Odd Bomb/Mortar?

ordnance

Premium Member
A friend showed this item to me at a gun show last weekend and would like to identify it. No measuring tools were available but you can get a fair idea from the hands. It appeared to be about 60mm in diameter. The only markings were the "A" and "S" on the fuze. The body is steel and the fins are a die cast alloy.

It has a similar appearance to the Italian Brixia with the cast fin but much larger of course. It has a pocket in the base that could be for a launching cartridge but the walls there were very thin. Perhaps a pneumatic mortar round? Thanks for any assistance.

GP Mystery Shell 1.jpgGP Mystery Shell 2.jpgGP Mystery Shell 3.jpgGP Mystery Shell 4.jpg

Hello,
there is no doc about, but I think is for the Samaja 60mm mortar.

13 apr 2011_2753.jpg

some pics of the mortar, close to 45mm brixia;
SDC10810.jpgSDC10811.jpg

Samaja mortar didn't have ammunition box as the brixia, so a propelling charge was fitted in the bomb.
regards

Thank you both for responding. Just the information he needed. I assume they are not very common in Italy so must be even scarcer in the U.S. Unfortunately, no history is known on the source other than being found at a gun show 20 or 25 years ago.