What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German WW1 10.5cm Shrapnel

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured is a shrapnel projectile for the WW1 German 10.5cm light field howitzer. I am confident in the identification, the red painted top section is 40mm, the distance from the base of the shell to the driving band is 28mm and the band shows 32 grooves. However, my documentation shows the length of the 1916 pattern projectile should be 328mm, this example is only 317mm. Either it is an earlier model or during the reconstruction process bits were cut to make it fit together. Could anyone confirm the length is correct? Comment on the correct paint scheme would also be welcome. The projectile came with a case manufactured by FR Neumeyer, not common in my experience.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 50
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 63
Cases from Fritz Neumeyer are very common, but 99% of them are only stamped with an "FN". Written in complete words they are absolutely not easy to find!

Are these type of primers common on the 10.5 case, I’ve never seen these on this case. Only the small screw in type.

These primers are the common used type for the 10 cm field howitzer cases. Maybe you have seen the longer 10 cm cases for guns? These have screwed primers.

Sorry, I don't have an idea about the length...

Last edited: