What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need a Little help with Projectile's markings....

Dronic69

Premium Member
Hi All,

I have this unusual projectile with markings that appears to have been done at two (2?) distinct periods - the faint markings I assume are the original ones and the more distinct ones done later during perhaps re-purposed?

Original /Faint Markings:
---------------------------

15 p (15 pdr?)

/|\ Broad Arrow (between the "T P") - British

"S C & | 00" - Manufacturer's stamp / Original Date (1900?)

"QF" - Quick Fire?

Later Stamps: (?)
---------------------

"T P" - Test Projectile?

"P' - Practice Shot?

"C I" - Cast Iron? (or "G I"?)

Later Date: 10 11 18?

Lot Number: 397?

I look forwards to your valuable thoughts! :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• IMAG7175a.jpg
    IMAG7175a.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG7176a.jpg
    IMAG7176a.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMAG7177a.jpg
    IMAG7177a.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAG7178a.jpg
    IMAG7178a.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMAG7173a.jpg
    IMAG7173a.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMAG7168a.jpg
    IMAG7168a.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMAG7169a.jpg
    IMAG7169a.jpg
    271 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAG7171a.jpg
    IMAG7171a.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAG7172a.jpg
    IMAG7172a.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
No thoughts on this? - just looking for some feedback - have I correctly identified the markings and interpretations? (or do I need to get some glasses and /or change my medication?)

All thoughts welcome!!

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
Hi Drew, here are the markings on my 15 pounder if that helps. I've noticed that there is also the CI / GI marking just above the drive band. Mine is dated 9/9/97 on the side along with the /|\ mark. The British did still use some 15pdrs at the start of WW1 but not sure if any were still in action in 1918.
DSC04478.jpgDSC04480.jpgDSC04481.jpg

Hi Ammofo,

That's a great looking original Mk III shrapnel projectile complete with the No 56 T&P fuze!

Yes I can make out the "CI /GI" above the driving band, however the 'C I" stamp on the base in my example stands for Cast Iron. Your shrapnel is "F S" for Forged Steel.

The 15 pdr QF guns were finally declared obsolete in 1919.

I have attached a photo of the complete round - although faintly stamped "15 p" with in conjunction with what appears to be an original date of "1900" (00), the actual weigh is 5.6 kg, which is more in line with a 12 pdr practice shot. This is why I just posted the base photo seeking feedback for the correct reading and interpretation of the markings.

Since the 12 pdr preceded the 15 pdr, I have theory that the same weighted practice shot projectile was used for the 15 pdr.

(Refer: http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...-between-early-British-3-quot-(76-2-mm)-guns)

The real issue is the apparent lack of information /documentation on that era 3" practice shot projectiles and existing examples. It seems that early practice shot projectiles are in fact harder (rarer?) than the typical common shell or shrapnel projectiles. If this assumption is incorrect, someone please advise.....................

Does anyone have an example of a 15 pdr practice shot projectile for comparison?

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

BTW - Disregard the "AP" painted marking on the body.

Attachments

• Ammo.jpg
    Ammo.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Seems like a pretty murky area all round. I had a feeling you were only showing the base for this reason !!
As ever, I'm way out of my depth in such matters and can only marvel at the collective knowledge of contributing members. Keep up the splendid work, and I hope you find the answer you're looking for.

Thank you Minenaz16,

That's a great selection of 12 pdr practice shots!

(Although I can't quite read the last one's base markings)

Surely someone has a 15 or 13 pdr practice shot projectile?

Cheers
Drew